Saturday, November 27, 2010

Time + Inspiration = She's Crafty

This week, I have had so much fun getting crafty!  I am mostly a crafty wannabe...I love the idea of it, but rarely have the time, energy, resources,etc...to pull it off.  Thanks to the ideas in this blog: http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/11/craftastic.html, I was inspired to make time.  Her ideas were simple, and her background music makes me happy...reminds me of older days, not sure why.  So off to Hobby Lobby I went with the kids. 

First project:  Thanksgiving Turkey Placecards
The kids had a lot of fun with these, helping glue faces, eyes, beak, waddles, and feathers of course.  Oh, and they are cinnamon-scented pinecones, so they smell delicious! 

7 Turkeys ready to go for our Feast!


A closeup shot.  We're packing these puppies up and saving them for next year!

Second project:  Felt flower
These are super easy and only require 1 sheet of felt and a hot glue gun.  These came from a different blog.
http://shadandlizzie.blogspot.com/2010/08/felt-flower-headband-tutorial.html
These are so easy and you can make them in a bajillion of colors.  You can attach them to anything to spice it up.  Laynie loves her new headband...but of course, she already lost it.  We're still looking.  You can't see from my picture, but we glued a red jewel in the middle as well, making it extra fabulous to my easy-to-please 4 year old!
 
Third project:  Babylegs! 
I saw these silly knee high socks at Target and couldn't resist.  Why is there a whole section of knee-high socks at Target anyway...who wears those???  These take me about ten minutes to make.  Right up my alley. 

My deliciously sweet Josie, modeling her new babylegs.  She actually kept them on happily, even napped in them! 

Fourth Project:  Christmas banner
This idea comes from the first blog I mentioned.  She made a "Thankful" banner that inspired me.  Hobby Lobby had limited options for fabric, so I went with what I could find as 3 kids were slowly descending into meltdowns!  I thought about running to Joanne's "real quick"...but the kids impending meltdowns deterred me.  This project stretched my crafty brain.  It required multiple steps, lots of measuring and cutting....and instead of gluing everything, I chose to sew most everything except the letters.  But I had so much fun watching this come together!  I wasn't sure where I was going to hang it when I made it, but if I had known, I would have made the letters blue and the stars red...because the red does not pop nearly as well against the red well.  Oh well.  Finishing this project was a big step for me.  It says "Joy to the World" if you can't see it.

We ended the evening with a cozy fire, watching Polar Express with the big kids.  So much to be thankful for.  And yay Christmas time!

No comments:

Post a Comment